Suicide Squad (2016) - SDCC TRAILER REACTION

I'm not looking forward to Suicide Squad. Don't get me wrong, I love the premise. I think the actors are great. I think the characters are great. As soon as that first image was revealed though, I realized it wasn't going to be a fun, slightly bizarre movie, but a dark, Gothic and tattoo-filled film to fit in with Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice's tonal approach.
I thought the Suicide Squad were done really well in Arrow: season 2, with the characters previously established in earlier episodes so that the Suicide Squad episodes didn't need to have so much set-up of the villains. However, this film seems to want to juggle not three, but nine Suicide Squad members, the Joker and Amanda Waller as brand-new characters in a 2 hour movie. This means that 11 main characters will need to be fully-established, be given a character arc and have some kind of conclusion within a 2 to 2 1/2 hour movie. This simply won't work.
This trailer looks so bleak that I don't think I'll have any fun with it. Maybe we didn't see any of the jokes or lighter moments in the film in this first teaser trailer (that Warner Bros said they would not ever release but then released a day later because everyone had already seen the leaked version online) but I don't think it will be as fun as I wanted it to be.
That said, the film could be great. Margot Robbie looks fantastic as Harley Quinn, Will Smith will probably be great as Deadshot (even if he'd be better with some jokes), Jared Leto looks incredibly creepy in the trailer's final scene and the actress playing Waller looks good.
The cinematography looks great, the story is still a fantastic idea and the music choice is very good. Again though, it just doesn't appeal to me that much. That said, I really look forward to seeing Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn and Jared Leto as the Joker, as those are two brilliant characters.
Suicide Squad will be released on August 6th 2016.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 6, Episode 1 Review