Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 3, Episode 6 Review

After six weeks of build-up, Andrew was revealed as Lash. Regrettably, it's a twist spoiled for me several months ago (thanks social media), but considering how badly the series was setting up this big reveal, I think I would have guessed anyway. How does Lash know all about the Inhumans? Well, Daisy was telling Andrew pretty much everything. Why hasn't Lash found Lincoln? Well, Daisy doesn't know where Lincoln is, so can't tell him. Why didn't Lash kill Daisy? She's far too useful to him. How did Andrew survive the incident at the building with Strucker? He's Lash. I mean, come on guys, who else was it going to be?
Speaking of Strucker, he got killed off this week, being brutally tortured by Ward's men. I'm not sure why the series felt the need to introduce and then kill him off, but maybe he was part of an idea that wasn't working...who knows?
The main point is that we have the reveal of Lash's identity, clearing up one over-hanging mystery but also building on a plot thread that could potentially be dragged out far too much and add another mystery to a set of mystery boxes the show has yet to open. I am very glad that this episode has handled this revelation quite early on.
Then of course we have the revelation that the ACTU are in fact capturing Inhumans to keep them in stasis until they can discover a cure for their 'illnesses'. While at first I worried the show would present a very biased view to a potentially interesting moral argument - with Daisy, Mack and Hunter's reactions - upon getting Rosalind Price's explanation, which also explained what happened to her husband (and thankfully wasn't connected to the over-arching plot), I found that the show really was presenting two very different but equally-justified points of view.
This also helped build on the dynamic between Rosalind and Coulson, which is one that genuinely interests me. While she still seems a little shifty, I can imagine that the idea from here on out is to show that she isn't actually evil, but doing a potentially wrong thing for the right reasons. Maybe this will cause a split in SHIELD between Daisy and Coulson to add yet more plot to this potentially over-crowded season, but given that the series has been handling its arcs very well lately, I'd like to assume otherwise.
Overall, 'Among Us Hide' was another strong entry into this season of Agents of SHIELD, and I'm definitely beginning to see the show that I hoped Season 2 would be. I'm actually liking all of the characters, I find the plot threads interesting and the show has a much more consistent tone - balancing dark themes with fun little moments and comic book-style action. Perhaps my disappointment with season 2 will be lifted with this third season... 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 6, Episode 1 Review