Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 2, Episode 10 Review

After a mostly bloated and underwhelming selection of episodes (with some exceptions), Agents of SHIELD concludes the Autumn half of its second season with 'What They Become'.
Reviewing the season so far as whole, I can't deny how disappointed I am with it. This time last year I was incredibly excited and just dying to see 'The Magical Place' (even if I had to wait an extra two months thanks to living into the UK), but right now, I'm not interested much in seeing Agents of SHIELD's return (whenever that's happening) and because of the disappointing nature of SHIELD, I'm not that bothered about Agent Carter. That being said, the first episodes of Agent Carter have had some good reviews, so hopefully it'll be better.
I'm also judging this episode as a standalone episode in a series. Whatever problems the episodes beforehand may have had, I have judge this on its own merits.
So, as a season so far, 'meh'. As a mid-season finale to this season, 'great'!
Agents of SHIELD seemed to not know where it was going with this season, and while yes, I think the pacing so far has been its biggest problem when handling the story arcs, and how its structures them all into one whole (making the season feel clunky in places), its great to finally see where most of this had lead up to.
Finally we get the truth about who Skye is, and while her identity as Daisy Johnson (AKA 'Quake') means as much to me as Eric Kleig probably does to a Star Wars fan, its great for comic fans and interesting to see where this heads from the perspective of Agents of SHIELD's non-comic book fan audience like me, especially when reading up on it revealed that she was an Inhuman - a species that Marvel Studios are making a feature film about in 2018, so it would be awesome if Skye/Daisy ends up starring in that. I have no doubt that Chloe Bennet is a more than capable actress and I'm sure would love to do such a movie, and if the Inhumans are being set-up in Agents of SHIELD, then that's a new selling point Marvel Studios can give to non-viewers. I do worry that this isn't actually setting up an Inhumans movie, which will be a waste, but I hope Kevin Feige and co can surprise me.
We also have the death of Daniel Whitehall. Wow. While yes, he was a bit dull and lacked much presence, I was waiting for his moment to shine. However, he got no such moment and just got shot by Coulson. While, yes, he could be resurrected and make the whole season continue on this clunky story-line even longer and then get a satisfying death, I'd rather the show just leaves him alone and gets on with something more interesting than just SHIELD vs HYDRA every week, especially with an Inhuman Raina and the mysterious man at the end.
Also, Triplett died. While I can't say I'm all that surprised, his death was poorly executed and barely had any impact. Why? Because it was that hard to predict, with him still not being in the main cast list (sadly for this reason we might be stuck with Annoying Agent Cockney for a while longer) and sadly his almost death two weeks before lessened the impact. Had he died then, great. However, he didn't.
We do have an excellent scene between Cal and Skye though, with its being perfectly written, acted and shot with the music and sound design being brilliantly subtle. Its a standout scene and is just brilliant.
As for the rest of the episode, I thoroughly enjoyed it. While yes it did have the two big problems, it also dealt with the characters and how they've evolved, although there weren't any standout scenes apart from the ending.
That ending. While many, including myself, are left wondering what the hell it was all about, it was tense, built up and beautifully done by cast and crew - even with Triplett's slightly random death.
Overall, I have little otherwise to say about 'What They Become' and hope that it paves way for a brighter future in the quality of Agents of SHIELD. 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 6, Episode 1 Review