First Thoughts on 'Arrow' (Episodes 1-4)

Arrow is a series I've been wanting to watch for a long time, but had no idea what it was about and what it was actually like in terms of style. It was popular, but I didn't know why.
Now, however, I can see why.
Arrow is not perfect at the moment, but if it carries on and goes well, it could become that perfect series I would love it to be. 
I love the use of narration that really adds a comic book sense to it, and I love the dark, gritty and realistic-ish tone the series settles with. It’s the Dark Knight, but with Green Arrow and a lot more fun and interesting.
I love the characters and how interesting they are. Oliver Queen’s speech at his father’s grave is a standout moment. He will do as his father wanted him to, but he will have to destroy everything his father stood for in order to do so, and he’s not entirely happy with this. He hates to have to do this, but will honour his father’s wishes as penance for his sins in life.
Then we have Thea, his sister, who lived in absolute hell for the five years Oliver was presumed dead, as his mother barely spoke to her and she ended up stealing things from shops to get something back in life. She isn’t a bad person, but no one seems to care about her until Oliver returns, which is why I like her – she is a human being at the end of the day, and can be a good person with flaws.
The other characters are just as interesting, but those were my two standouts. The acting is brilliant, with Colin Salmon and John Barrowman having small but brilliantly cast guest roles in the series. Barrowman’s reveal was really well handled (I won’t say how so as not to spoil it).
The score from Blake Neely is spot-on and utterly brilliant. Oliver’s theme is so representing of his tragedy, inner demons and heroism that I just love it. Even Hans Zimmer should be taking notes!
The action and cinematography are fantastic, the teleplays and dialogue are great and the series’ premise is so interesting that you are captivated through these episodes to every frame just to see what happens next. It takes a conventional super hero series to the next level of being its own standalone series with a main character in a green hood every week. I really like it.
If there are any problems, the sound mixing (particularly in the Pilot) is a bit rubbish and a couple of moments feel over-edited. I also worry that the series has only planned for this 22 episode season and that season 2 will be a bit like “hey let’s do another series! Bring everything and everyone back and we can just...carry on, I guess”. I don’t think so from what I’ve heard but I will certainly be glued to the next episodes, especially from Episode 4’s whopping cliffhanger!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 6, Episode 1 Review