First Thoughts On 'The Shannara Chronicles' (Episodes 9-10)

I'm not entirely sure how to finish off this series of first thoughts on The Shannara Chronicles. I started off with pretty much a detailed breakdown of the plot, and then a hell of a lot of ranting, so...I guess I'll just wrap up then.
So, basically in these final two episodes everything concludes as Amberle realizes she's a tree, so has to go right back to her home (which takes a lot less time than going to the fire-thingy) and replace the Ellcrys, even though the Ellcrys is dead. Somehow this kills/teleports all the demon armies and the Dagda Mor and everything's completely fine. Except for that bit where Eretria recognizes a troll with a gas mask cos you know...second season set-up.
Long story short: The Shannara Chronicles is a mini-series that didn't even need to be a mini-series. The whole plot of the series basically comes down to Amberle needing to turn into a tree, and for whatever reason that doesn't just happen. How does that even work? I have absolutely no idea. Maybe if it was about Amberle's growth as a character that would work but...where is her growth? Where is any of the character growth? Everyone pretty much ends the same way they started so what was the point of all this?!
I'm not nearly as frustrated as it might seem I am, but I am sat here wondering what the hell was the going on in the writing stages of this total BS. The Shannara Chronicles has poor writing, mostly bad acting, weak effects (although they don't look too bad for a TV series), random and awful pop music cues and some of the worst editing I have ever seen in a professional TV series. If this was some cheap production by some knaff American TV channel I probably wouldn't be so bothered but clearly some idiot put money into this...crap. That's all I can call The Shannara Chronicles - crap. The redeeming features are that maybe about two characters are any good - Ander and Allanon. John Rhys-Davies and the Captain character were alright too, but both of them got killed off. So we're stuck with rubbish leads, stupid plot-lines and no reason to carry on watching. I'm glad I finished The Shannara Chronicles, because I finally got to confirm to myself that this really is a flat-out bad series. There's no real redeeming aspects here - it's bad. And considering its potential, that kinda sucks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Doctor Who: Revelation of the Daleks (1985) - BFI Event Review