Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) - TRAILER #3 REACTION

The release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens has really upped my interest in the franchise. Back in 2010, when I really lost interest in Star Wars, I figured it was a dead franchise and Episode VII wasn't going to happen (despite it being the dream of 5 year old me). I still loved all the films, but I'd watched them so many times I just didn't really need to re-watch them anymore (that, and Doctor Who returned in 2010 - and was pretty awesome until that Christmas episode). That, and the fact that The Clone Wars animated series seemed to be getting gradually worse and worse didn't help.
I'll be honest, I haven't properly sat down to watch a Star Wars film since then. Sure, I've seen bits and pieces on Television or YouTube, and I did end up sort-of watching Return of the Jedi whilst babysitting once, but I haven't sat down to really watch it properly.
I have decided to go back and take a look at the first six movies this year though, in build up to The Force Awakens, and see if they really do hold up. Three of them probably won't, but the other three might...
However, last night/this morning (America/UK) the third and first full length trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens was released - and it was pretty stunning. All of the trailers for this movie have been incredible. Very little of the plot has been given away, the dialogue is all up to interpretation, and we haven't even seen Luke Skywalker yet!

First things first: visually, this trailer look gorgeous. I love the blend of J J Abrams visual style with that of the traditional Star Wars', managing to make the film look fresh and new whilst also bringing a wonderful sense of nostalgia to the picture. The shot composition, camera angles, camera movements and colour palette of the film are just a treat for the eyes. This is a colourful movie that looks all the better in high definition.
This, complemented with a wonderful production design and costumes, just makes the film awe-inspiring from just a visual level. The way certain shots are left to play out, and others are cut just a little too short before you see something shows that this isn't an over-edited super-fast mess of a film, like quite a few action movies nowadays.
John William's music, despite using original themes, also feels fresh and new and really works well with what's going on on-screen. The way the music builds throughout before softening at the end makes it seem like a special trailer - not your usual synthesized action flick stuff.

I can't say too much character or plot-wise here, as very little is given away, but this is where I'm cautious with the film. J J Abrams' two Star Trek films have abominable scripts, based on coincidental catalysts for the plot, with no sense of character development or even consistency within some of the characters (look at Benedict Cumberbatch's Kahn for further evidence). Into Darkness didn't understand what made their own villain so intimidating in the first place and both are just there to provide decent action it seems. This isn't the sort of thing I want to see in Star Wars. We've already had the much-hated Prequels, let's see the more positively-received sequels!
As J J Abrams didn't actually write the screenplays for those Trek films though, and has Empire Strikes Back writer Laurence Kasdan co-writing, maybe we will get a truly great script. I don't want a style over substance Star Wars film - I want an all-round great Star Wars film.

I'm sure The Force Awakens won't cater for everybody's taste - how could it? - but I just want to see a great movie. If it gets an 8/10 or above, I'll be a very happy 5 year old sitting in the cinema, knowing that this franchise is destined for greatness.
Basically, don't screw it up J J - you haven't so far...

PS - that poster is awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 6, Episode 1 Review