Final Thoughts on The Tomorrow People

On Wednesday the 4th June 2014, the final episode of The Tomorrow People was shown on E4. I'd been catching up on the series ready for the finale, and I ultimately felt underwhelmed by the conclusion, but interested in what was being set-up.
The first thing I liked was that Jedikiah showed real signs of compassion for his brother, but somehow the jealously aspect was mostly forgotten. He got powers, and then broke Roger out from Ultra, only to lose his powers just as he reached his brother. This could have been a great villain twist, but wasn't.
However, in the end he uses Roger's powers to give John his Tomorrow People abilities once again, but with the cost being that John doesn't remember Cara and the others. His mission is to recruit the Tomorrow People from the lair, but of course the series was cancelled so we'll probably never see what happened next.
Then comes the hate...one of The Tomorrow People (whose name I can't remember; the blonde woman) irritated the hell out of me. The series seemed to have different 'evil' characters in the lair throughout its 22 episode run, and all of them were annoying, stupid and practically identical. I wonder if they were all meant to be the same character...
Then Cara dies in the end. Then she doesn't. This was probably setting up an interesting arc, but it just came out of nowhere and ruined a perfectly good twist ending!
Thankfully Hillary died before the final episode, and a good thing too! Her character was constantly in flux and behaved as the plot demanded her to. At the end of Episode 19, I thought she was the same person as she was in her début, just knowing Stephen better, but then she's good but evil...yeah, I really cannot be bothered enough to go on about her.
Roger at long last came back, only to feel wasted as by Episode 22 he is dead. Great, what did that achieve? Well, the Founder just got his machine to work. While the ultimate plan of the Founder was evil and stuff, he got defeated way too easily, even if I was fine with him not being in a potential Season 2.
Overall, I feel the series got on with the plot too late on for it to go anywhere, and ultimately I was incredibly disappointed with it. It could have been so much more, but refused to be. I might one day buy the DVD or something, but for now I'm not bothered. I would have watched a season 2 but it got cancelled, and for good reason too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 6, Episode 1 Review