2014 Preview

These are some upcoming reviews I have planned for 2014. For those wondering what happened to my 'The Tomorrow People US' Reviews, I'm close to giving up on them, as I seem to have little time to write reviews for 22, 45 minute TV episodes each week, but I'll try and catch up.

  1. Jonathan Creek: series five - As much as I do enjoy Jonathan Creek (I'm watching all the episodes I haven't seen at the moment), I feel that last years' "The Clue of the Savant's Thumb" was...disappointing to say the least. It definitely felt like a Pilot for a new series, although with very little Jonathan Creek-isms. The duffle coat was barely seen (and is absent from the series five promo images) and there was no windmill or Adam Klaus. In fact, there was very little 'magic' involved at all. It felt like it had lost what made the series so great. Hopefully the new three hour-long episodes will bring us back into the old days once more.
  2. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD: series one part two - I really have enjoyed SHIELD so far, and I am STILL waiting for the next episodes to air on C4 (can they hurry up?). Oh well, It's still going to be awesome. I just want to know how exactly Coulson lives...(for those in America, please don't say)
  3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - While I think that The First Avenger is the weakest Marvel Studios film to date, The Winter Soldier looks a lot more interesting, if only Marvel hadn't spoiled a massive plot element in one of the TV Spots. I regret researching on this film for the spoilers, although hopefully something will surprise me. My one problem with Captain America is that there is very little character to him, although with Black Widow having a main role in the new film, we might be focusing on her instead. Oh, and please Marvel can we have a Black Widow V/S Loki film? It would be awesome, and practically writes itself...
  4. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - this film is gonna suck or succeed. Either way, Sony are in for a lot of money, with their pretty knaff Spidey suit and CGI (the Sam Raimi films looked WAY better!). Although the story line with Electro looks interesting, having the Green Goblin, Rhino and the Richard Parker sub-plot may con-volute the film, even if it does have a sequel planned already.
  5. X-Men: Days of Future Past - my most anticipated film of this year, it looks pretty damn awesome with the characters from First Class and the X-Men trilogy coming together in a film that makes Marvel's Avengers Assemble look like nothing in comparison. Time will tell, but DOFP looks pretty darn awesome.
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy - While I was initially not looking forward to this film, everything I have heard is building my anticipation of this film up and up. It looks to be a very funny but still action-packed blockbuster that dives away from the normal Marvel film formula.
  7. Doctor Who: series eight/thirty-four - I'm not too sure where Who is going at the moment, and I do worry with a Doctor who could go either way, a head writer who went from amazing to excellent to absolute rubbish in three episodes, a companion with very little development and character AND introducing a new recurring character in Danny Pink makes me worried for the future of the series. I like Clara but she needs more time to develop her personality and have more focus, although with a new Doctor and a new companion, I'm beginning to doubt this happening. The production side is looking better, with some great choice of directors and writers, although can even they save Who from Steven Moffat's nonsense that spills out every so often (mostly when something needs to be revealed)?
  8. The Hobbit: There and Back Again - The finale to The Hobbit trilogy is looking great so far after the amazing The Desolation of Smaug, and I just want to see a dragon destroy a city, Bard kill it and a massive war break out. Oh, spoilers if you haven't read the book (and why NOT!!!)
  9. Whatever else is coming - I'm looking forward to being surprised by other stuff coming this year, even if the chances of Firefly returning after nearly ten years since Serenity is beginning to look a little too doubtful. Who knows, eh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Doctor Who: Revelation of the Daleks (1985) - BFI Event Review