Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018) - Teaser Trailer Reaction

It was difficult not to feel a sense of trepidation going into the second of J.K. Rowling's Fantastic Beasts series. The first film divided opinion, with many feeling that it was merely a cash-cow designed to milk the Harry Potter franchise dry (which isn't exactly un-true per say), whilst others found it to be a fresh, enjoyable addition to the Wizarding World canon - I myself was among the latter. Regardless of the subjective quality of the first film, Warner Bros, David Yates and J.K. Rowling intend to steady their course in the first trailer for the sequel, The Crime of Jo- I mean, Grindelwald.

Aside from the elephant in the room (covered in make-up with a strange voice, because somehow he's managed to make his inconsistency in weirdos bizarrely consistent), Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald looks like an interesting follow-up to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Not only are we introduced to a much younger, Jude Law Dumbledore here (whose youth brings up the obvious question as to the chronological placement of the flashbacks in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, in which Dumbledore had barely aged since Tom Riddle's time at Hogwarts), but we're treated to very striking new imagery, such as a the Thestral carriage glimpsed briefly, and a new location in the form of Paris. We also get to see a disheveled Grindelwald looking ever-so-slightly more akin to his appearance in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, which may be a small addition, but one I appreciate given my variety of problems with the casting.

The cinematography, production design and visual effects all look pretty top-notch, with some wonderful shots littered throughout. I feel as though I could screenshot every single frame of the trailer and use it for my wallpaper, but for now I think its safe to say that its all looking good, regardless of Rowling's screenplay - which, if I'm honest, I doubt is anything truly bad if worst comes to worst. If there is one criticism I have to make with the shots, its the brief glimpse of Newt and [his brother is my best guess] appearing to be fighting off some sinister force. Its a small moment, but if I am correct about the other character, I do start to wonder if that's the third act confrontation, and if so...well, I've spoiled a structural element for myself (and you too, dear reader - sorry about that!)

The music was very well chosen, sounding very similar to the trailer music used for the first Fantastic Beasts installment, whilst still incorporating John Williams' Hedwig's Theme, although the standout of this entire trailer for me was getting to see Jude Law as Dumbledore. While its clear he's no imitation of Richard Harris or Michael Gambon, his sheer charisma is lovely to watch, with the teaser's opening being a nice little hark back to the Ministry's confrontation with Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. His casting is one I'm really excited to see, despite not being exactly how I'd imagine a younger Dumbledore to be. I think that's because Jude Law has clearly captured the character, as opposed to the performance of previous Dumbledore actors, and I'd be interested to see if, over the course of the next four films, he becomes more akin to the character we all know and love (akin to Ewan McGreggor's Obi Wan Kenobi in the Star Wars prequels). For now though, I think its safe to say that Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald shall be a nice little adventure film for the end of the year.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald will be released on 16th November 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - Review