Star Trek: Discovery - Episode 5 Review

I was surprised to find that after having left Star Trek: Discovery for a little while that I only had two episodes to catch-up on, given how long I'd felt that I'd not watched this series for. Perhaps I was missing it, or perhaps I've just been too caught up with life - and the new seasons of the DC shows (which all bar Arrow have been off to a mediocre start). Sitting down to watch 'Choose Your Pain' though, I found myself not quite as gripped by the episode as I had been previously. Perhaps the bright sunshine outside didn't help with the atmosphere of it all, but otherwise I just couldn't place my finger on why I wasn't quite as invested.
Perhaps its because the series has been consistently good so far. I've enjoyed the previous episodes, I expect good things from the next, and thus the episode delivers on that. There's no real disappointment, but there's no overwhelming sense of excellence to the episode. It's as-expected, and perhaps that's on me.
But hey, the episode was still pretty darn good. Captain Lorca being kidnapped by the Klingons was an interesting adventure-of-the-week story, and I particularly enjoyed the character-building he had with his Starfleet officer cellmate (who's name for the life of me I can't remember). His other cell...enemy, I guess, Mudd was an interesting foil to the two, although I couldn't help but wonder if I saw him in the trailer...not in a cell. Given that didn't happen in this episode, I'm assuming that either I mistook him or that's a future episode in the season - and if it is the latter, I look forward to it. I was particularly glad that the episode didn't kill off the Starfleet Lieutenant  (Ash Tyler according to IMDB), as that felt like such an obvious cliched direction for the episode to go in, and having him join Discovery adds to the characters on board.
I also enjoyed the prologue as Lorca is practically interrogated by the Starfleet Admirals, delving further into his...questionable actions in the series. What is his end game here? I guess we'll find out...
Saru and Burnham's dynamic also grew and developed over this episode as they argued over the creature. Their friction has been a great source of both drama and actual originality in the series, and getting to see it finally resolve itself - as Burnham hands over the telescope to Saru - was a nice and satisfying conclusion, as was the freeing of the creature.
I think 'Choose Your Pain' was another strong entry for the series, although I have very little to say about it. Star Trek: Discovery is just a strong series overall, and I'm very pleased to hear about a second season commission. Live long and prosper Discovery - you deserve it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - Review