Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 3, Episode 13 Review

In this week's episode, Hunter and Morse are being interrogated by an Interpol detective about the murder of the Russian Prime Minister's right-hand man, with various flashbacks fleshing out what occurred in the hours prior. Telling a story in this format is nothing particularly original, though I'll admit it did throw me at first. I wondered if we'd get a Hunter and Morse origin story of sorts, but alas we've got to deal with a rather forgettable plot involving a Russian conspiracy and an Inhuman we barely get to see.
What worked about this episode was that it focused on everyone at SHIELD being actual spies. Now, I love spy dramas and I think there are all sorts of directions such an idea can go. Setting up a cover that goes so far that you have to leave the organisation is a new one for me, but damn did it work. Sure, I think the episode overplayed the Hunter and Morse farewell to 112%, but it was an interesting idea explored. Having a near Cold War scenario was also a good way to build the stakes, and it was great to see President Ellis cameo again to help sort the situation out.
The Inhuman-of-the-week was barely in the episode, but Malick continues to make a formidable and interesting villain for the show. Powers Boothe who plays Malick is just pitch-perfect in every scene, with each line practically oozing evil.
While I was never sold on Hunter and Morse as characters, they did grow on me - particularly in this season - and their exit was well-done, even if their entrances weren't. I can't say I'm excited for them to have their own spin-off (titled Marvel's Most Wanted), but it could be an interesting mini-series, even if I doubt it'll last very long. Perhaps they'll return next season.
The direction of this episode was pretty good, even with a rather confusing Inhuman menace, and the Russian setting was pulled off pretty well. This episode followed on directly from its predecessor, once again showing the strong communication between the writers of the show. Everyone seems to know what's going on, and each episode this season has worked in building up an overall story-line. The production quality was strong, the acting was strong and the writing was strong, but its just a shame about the forgettable plot and over-played exit. 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Doctor Who: Revelation of the Daleks (1985) - BFI Event Review