Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 3, Episode 1 Review

I suspect any long-time readers of this blog (if there are any, but if you are one, dear ready - thank you for putting up with my ramblings!) will know that I wasn't fond of Agents of SHIELD: season 2. Despite giving almost every episode a "good" rating, as a whole season, it really didn't work for me. The cast I was just beginning to grow attached to was added to with bland new supporting characters, the small team idea of the first season was scratched, entire characters were re-written and plot lines just hung around loosely.
For a show that began with the tagline "not all heroes are super", its fantastic to see that Season 3 goes completely against that by 180 degrees and instead decides to be set-up for a future Inhumans movie (which no doubt will retcon/ignore this show) with Skye now being Daisy Johnson and the inclusion of an increasingly large Inhuman cast. Luke Mitchell, who was a supporting actor last season and lead in The CW's incredibly popular The Tomorrow People, is now one of the main cast; probably one of the more interesting, mind. I don't dislike having the Inhumans story-line, but I hope it actually does something for the rest of the Marvel-verse. I doubt Matt Murdoch or Jessica Jones will ever go "hey, this food has some kind of alien substance in it..." or Thor mention "hey guys, I should probably warn you about the Terrigen crystals".
But, review the show you've got, not the show you want/it wants to be.
The status quo, tone and overall approach to Agents of SHIELD has changed yet again this season. While the show is still taking itself way too seriously, the supporting characters introduced last season are still pretty dull and Skye/Daisy's badass-ery should be more to do with her hacker skills than because she's Agent May mark II now (although Chloe Bennet looks great in her new costume) - at least I wasn't confused as much as I was this time last season.
The plot follows Daisy locating as many Inhumans as she can, while Coulson is looking into a mysterious woman who's been kidnapping various Inhumans for reasons unknown, and Fitz is investigating Simmons' disappearance. These plots I actually quite liked, as well as seeing Lincoln trying to live a normal life with his powers, but I couldn't care less about what cheap blonde Black Widow and the annoying Brit are up to, let alone what Simmons is doing in a badly colour corrected other dimension/planet. This was very much a set-up episode, and therefore I have little I can say about this as a standalone piece of television. There was no sign of Grant Ward or May, despite being credited.
Overall, this episode was fairly enjoyable. I lost interest in the show with Season 2 and Season 3 is going to have to do a lot more to wash that sour taste out of my mouth. Scrap your other TV shows Marvel and work on making Agents of SHIELD better. 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Doctor Who: Revelation of the Daleks (1985) - BFI Event Review