Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Episode 22 Review

Why isn't Triplett there?!
This is perhaps the most difficult episode to review of Agents of SHIELD yet, and I feel it will be for some time. The big reason why is that this isn't the end of the series. It's the end of Chapter 1 and the set-up for Chapter 2, which could go either way. I try to avoid spoilers usually but it's impossible to talk about a spoiler-y episode without talking about spoilers! So, here you go:
CONTAINS SPOILERS
So, let's address each section as we go, shall we?

  • Deathlok: As much as I do think Deathlok is pretty darn awesome as a villain, the fact that Mike Peterson is the nicest guy you could ever meet defeats his menace. It looks like he'll be an ally next season though, even if his eye problem hasn't been sorted out. I feel he could have had a larger role, but he didn't feel tacked-on nonetheless.
  • Ward: Please can we have no Ward redemption arc next season? I like him evil better than good, and the actor has so much more to do as a baddie then as a wooden goodie. I'm sure he won't be completely evil or good, but I'm happy with him as he is thanks.
  • Fall of HYDRA/Garrett: This episode seemed to end with the fact that HYDRA was now taken down because Garrett was, but surely HYDRA is still out there? Next season had better address this, as otherwise we'll be left with a rebuilt SHIELD, but Fury, Cap and Falcon will have to battle HYDRA instead! Speaking of Garrett, he truly went nuts this episode. I think Bill Paxton was loving his role. He seemed to relish every second as I was slightly upset when he died. Then we had his brief 'resurrection' which was hilarious and made Coulson look even more awesome then before. I wouldn't mind if Garrett returned for season two, as I feel he was so evil, you just had to like him!
  • Raina/Skye's past: Raina is a character who seems to have been expanded upon since she joined Garrett earlier this season, and her vast knowledge is terrifying. Skye's mysterious past seems to have been brought up though for 'story arc' purposes instead of actually adding something, and I hope they add more in season two (there's a recurring pattern here). One question confuses the hell out of me though - who or what are Skye's parents?
  • Future of SHIELD/Nick Fury: I was practically in hyserics at the confrontation scene between Garrett and Coulson/Fury! I think Samuel L Jackson should appear in every SHIELD episode, but I guess he has his reasons. I miss his eye-patch though. But now, Coulson is director of SHIELD with Triplett (who was wasted in this episode), May (who thankfully beat the hell out of Ward), Simmons (why couldn't Fitz have not broken his arm?) and Skye who are all working with Billy Koenig. Season Two is gonna be interesting...

All in all, this episode was awesome but somehow ridiculous at the same time. I wonder if the writers just want to make a great, fun series now. If so, I'm all for it. The BBC are still making those depressing dramas with cheerful names, so anything slightly more cheerful is something we sorely need. 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Doctor Who: Revelation of the Daleks (1985) - BFI Event Review