The Hunger Games (2012) - Movie Review

The Hunger Games was released lasts year, and had a pretty massive amount of hype surrounding it. Personally, it didn't appeal to me. In fact, neither book nor film perked my interest. However, everyone who's read The Hunger Games seems to love it like hell. I had the head of English at my school come up and say it got her into Science Fiction. Well, I'm going to avoid a rant about how she's missed Firefly, Star Wars and Doctor Who in terms of great science fiction, but the point still stands. The Hunger Games is such a popular franchise, even if the three best that I have mentioned could kick its butt any millennia (although Attack of the Clones isn't great until the climax). Anyway, is it any good?
As of yet I have only started reading the books, so if I miss something, I apologise.
The first problem is that the actual origins of The Hunger Games is barely explained, and unless you've read the book, it will go over your head. I watched this film with my mum having read the beginning of the book, and she didn't understand the origins, the relevance of the Mocking Jay or what exactly happened to Katniss' dad and mum.
The other problem with the film is that the actor playing Peeta and the actor playing Cato look too similar so their fight at the climax is confusing to watch, especially in the dark.
The beginning is rather slow, but it improves as it goes on.
Overall, a good film, with some flaws but it is enjoyable for fans of the book series. 6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Movie Review

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (2022) - Review

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 6, Episode 1 Review